Food tours are generally walking tours of around 2-4 hours, in which a small group of like-minded foodies and travelers sample food and drink while learning about the cuisine, culture and history of the area they’re in.
There are tours of far longer duration, such as foodie tours that last for multiple days. However, the relatively short few hours of walking (or traveling by bike, or even by boat) in a particular local neighborhood in a city, is the most popular type of food tour.
Are food tours getting more popular?
Yes! We at Eating Europe Food Tours have been growing for the past few years, as have many other similar companies. Our research* has shown that more and more people are searching online for the term “food tour” – this trend ties in with the overall rise in culinary tourism.
Why take a food tour?
In the years we’ve been operating, we’ve been lucky enough to receive many very positive reviews from customers telling us what they liked about our tours. Here are some of the things we’ve learned that people like about food tours:
- Efficiency – seeing the city and sampling its food at the same time – food tours are a great way to get an overview during short visits or stops in cities.
- Escape – food tours are often outside the overcrowded, touristy area – they’re often a relaxing break from a hectic city center.
- Immersion – getting to really know a local cuisine and culture feels extremely rewarding – a real insight into how it feels to live there as a local.
- Flavor – the food itself! Tours that really fill you up with freshly made, delicious – sometimes a little adventurous – food and drink, in abundance!
- Uniqueness – a tour with a relatively small group (we never have more than 12 people) with a trained local expert guide, helps the experience to feel even more special.
- Reliability – using established companies like Eating Europe can feel more reliable than trying out an individual guide.
- Learning – customers often say they wish they’d taken our tour on the first day of their stay, because they discover all the best spots in the neighborhoods that they’d like to return to. And apart from that, we include a historical angle on the food culture that people really love!
- Many of our customers say our tour was the best thing about their visit to the city – but don’t take our word for it, do check out the reviews yourself! We’re listed on Trip Advisor in our different cities as Eating Italy – Rome, Eating Italy – Florence, Eating London, Eating Amsterdam and Eating Prague.
Find out more about our tours in the FAQs
*Based on Google Trends, a free tool that shows search behavior over time.